The American Dream .......

        

1968 Olympics Black Power Salute 
Photographer John Dominis)

                     The American Dream ....... A photo that changed my look on the world .




Now I understand why I don't dream any more. Let's not forget 1968 was not only the year of the race riots but also the assassination of 3 things . The American Dream, President JFK & Martin Luther King . 

The fight for civil rights consist of gesture & actions for equality. What became a riot started off as a peaceful demonstration walk. 

As Martin Luther King  continued to fight through the vicious cycle of oppression for 
equal rights for blacks and all Americans, he was killed . 

As African American's, the people begin to show how we can over come the negative by showing &  spreading love through 1 powerful  gesture.


Tommie Smith (center) Gold medalist
John Carlos (right) Bronze medalist 
Peter Norman (left) Silver medalist 

All three medalist stood together & represented OPHR Olympic Project for Human Rights by wearing matching patches.  For me this message was deep & also became a vital foot print towards the right step for true peace in our country. 

Yes we are in the year 2020 & the wounds some how hasn't healed. The photos and videos captured during 1968 leave's visual scars that seem to reopen them selves every time I watch the footage. 
Emotions reawaken as if I lived it seeing my people fight just to be considered equal &  human.

What is racism ?

Racism - Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Now that I'm older I understand more than any dictionary can explain.

Why ? 

Because I experienced it over & over as a teenage boy not knowing what this was.

Seems like yesterday as I walked down the street . It was my junior year of high school.
My girl friend at the time was a very beautiful young lady from Romania. 
As we walked down my street located in the gold coast of Chicago .

 I was blinded as a kid not knowing racism was well healthy & alive. As I walk my girl friend to the bus stop we had bought ice cream. As the bus begin to arrive  I gave her a hug.
A car pulled up with 2 young white males and 1 white female in the back seat .

As I begin to finishing hugging my girl, I felt a a wet feeling hit us. I herd  laughter & the words Nigger lover as this car drove off . 
The passenger of the vehicle threw a purple drink on us. This wasn't my 1st experience of racism but this 1 hit hard . 

As I look at the photo of the 3 Olympic medalist today, it some how provides a since of hope. I remember seeing this photo over and over as a kid. I just want to thank all 3 medalist for their sacrifice . 

This photo gave me hope for true peace as a kid and still does as an adult . 

To me the true "American Dream" is not clout riches and fame. The true American dream is equality love & equal opportunities. 


Photo by John Dominis 







  

Comments

Popular Posts